Here's the drive before surgery. Allison watched Ella for the day and we were SO thankful. Ella has been a champion this whole time, helping in every way she can.
Here's John dressed up and ready to go. He was a bit worried.
The red tag on his hand says ALLERGY. I hope one day he won't need that.
Monkey got a bracelet too.
John was so glad for the little Lego table. He built a tower with Dad.
I was glad for a blanket. Those surgery rooms...Brrr!! Can you tell it was a long night?
Last photo before the doctors came in and then he was swept away. What a brave guy!
After surgery we went in and helped him wake up. Lots of crying. John was quite disoriented. We had to hold the little guy down until the nurses came with demerol. Then he was able to relax.
I was crying too. Especially when he kept calling "Mommy, Mommy!"
Keeping the eyes covered helps out. Still bleeding a little.
The drive home. I thought my arm was going to break off from holding up that rag. I was just so glad to help.
Papa came to visit right away. The first thing John wanted to do was read the instructions of his new Lego set. He could only keep his eyes open for a second, then he'd have to go lay down again. We listened to a book on CD and Ella watched her new Wizard of OZ movie.
Well, we're still in recovery today. John's primary teachers showered us with dinner, gifts, and treats last night. I almost cried again when they came through the door with a hot meal and lots of love. My friend Nicole dropped off cookies and we also received phone calls for which were were also grateful. Day II has been much more difficult. Fighting John to get his eye drops in was exhausting. Adam went to work and I tried for over an hour to get them in his eyes. Lots of tears from John and Mom. The nurse on the phone has been an angel. We can't wait for John to be seeing everything again! Until then, we have to be careful of his double vision (bumping into walls and knocking stuff over). Thank you all for your prayers!
Here is a picture of today. It looks like John is angry, but that's just him trying to see the TV. Sweet Ella, guardian angel.
6 comments:
The part about John calling for you made me cry (pregnant).
Ella was a joy to have. Seriously...I think she was the easiest "babysitting job" I've ever had.
We are praying for John and love him so much! Let us know if we can do anything.
I didn't realize his surgery was already here. Give him our love. Hope recovery is speedy! It's so hard to see your kiddos in pain.
I wish I could hold John right now. Your post made me cry! I am so glad it's over and that John's on the path to recovery. The dear little guy! And sweet Ella, being so helpful. They are the best kids ever!
I'm glad to see John is recovering well. I feel for you as a mom. It's so hard when your little ones have to go through physically hard things.
I thought about you today. . .but that was all. I should have done more than thought. I hope it all turns out well.
Congrats on having that over with. Brynna has undergone about 5 eye surgeries and as a mom, each time was like the first. I know how much it takes a toll...BUT I also know that each time, I came closer to my Heavenly Father; especially in the fact of realizing how a little suffering will make for a better experience in the long run. It gave me clarity of when I'm calling out to Him, just as John did for you...He is there, by my side, knowing its for my own good.
Hang in there and love ya.
Post a Comment