Three weeks ago I had a great idea to try out this Coupon$ense thing. I figured it would be "wise" to try and save the family a few dollars in groceries by logging onto to the paid membership website and make my grocery lists. For the past two weeks I have attempted to make purchases surrounding coupon sense suggested sales, saving newspapers, and looking for deals.
I was surprised at how time consuming it was. Not only that, every time I go to the store with my coupons I find the items cleared out from other "couponers". Today I went to CVS thinking I could get a few deals on body washes, shampoos, etc. Yeah right. Proctor and Gamble sure got my hopes up. I was very upset as I went down each isle. It was like trying to find Tickle Me Elmo on Christmas Eve. Nothing left for me....not even the Colgate toothpaste.
I did use some coupons and "saved" money on items I wouldn't usually buy. I cancelled my membership with coupon sense and I'm quite disappointed with myself for wasted time clipping, sorting, and telling the kids to "wait" while mommy organized her deal lists.
I've heard so many friends who have saved money on couponing. I'll continue to clip and keep my eye out for deals once in a while... And I like the Hip2Save website which features good online deals sometimes. I just found couponing to be overwhelming and not fit for our gluten-free kiddo. To me, coupon sense was more of a GAMBLE than a proctor. I'll stick with shopping at Sprouts and enjoying every moment watching John and Ella put watermelons on scales instead of searching through my envelope of pretty papers.
Don't get me wrong, I admire those who can get the deals! I just haven't been able to figure how to have balance with a wad of coupons in hand and crying children. Thus I am jealous to anyone who has conquered this.
P.S. - This grumpiness calls for sarcasm...
13 comments:
Tough to get into the coupon thing now that the popular show "Extreme Couponing" has received such a rabid following, and press.
I saved tons of money with Coupon$ense and built up our storage too. However, I just couldn't handle another monkey on my back every week and the guilt that I had when I miss a great deal because I didn't go out early enough in the sale week. Someday I may do it again, because the savings were amazing, but I don't have space for it in my life right now. You are not alone.
I'm with you too. I did it a couple years ago, and while the savings seems incredible, a lot of the things were not stuff my family uses. Just like you I would go and things would be cleaned out, and the amount of time I would spend was ridiculous. Organizing my coupons, cutting my coupons, digging them back out when I wanted to use them, and then trying to go to four different stores to get all the good deals. It was just unreasonable with three small children. I still keep coupons for things my family uses, and Fry's sends me coupons for things I specifically use. Plus, I'm always keeping my eye out for a good deal! My dad always says "time is money", and I think that applies here (at least for me). Good post!
I've tried to do the coupon thing too and it never worked out for me. However, I just signed up for the Krazy Coupon Lady who sends me daily emails on the best deals and where to find the coupon. But since I don't get the paper and coupon inserts, it doesn't help me much. It does have a link for online coupons that are available but I just haven't taken the time or wanted to take the time to go through it all. I didn't realize that all the "deal" stuff gets sold out in stores. That makes me really not want to waste my time! Atleast you gave it a fair shot!
I totally agree. It was too much work for me and not worth the time. You might like this sight though. http://dealstomeals.blogspot.com/
Yep. Unfortunately all the free stuff you can get is usually junk food. And yes it is very time consuming. And yes they do get you to buy things you wouldn't normally buy. But sometimes it is worth it.
Amen!
Amen!!
You grand father, Charlie, kept reminding all of us that nothing is free, not even a bargain. I think these people who spend so much time couponing would be better off taking a minimum wage job. I guess I have to wonder where they get all these coupons. Are they wasting ink. Do they get them out of the magazines they buy? I find it even more sad that they actually have a show about it.
I have been through the same thing a couple of times in my married life! I wish there was a way to save without all the time involved!
I hear you Anya, and totally agree. But, we already talked about this on our drive to cub scout day camp. You are an AWESOME mom and wife for realizing it wasn't working for your family and being willing to do what you need for them. Time with family is so much more important. There have got to be better ways to save some money! If you figure it out let me know!
Jennifer
I know you are frustrated but I found this to be funny! Not sure if that's what you ment at all. :)I was discouraged for a few months. I can see exactly what you are saying though. Especially if you are limited to certain items for John. I just love how coupon sense helped me change my habits of buying. Sorry it isn't going to be worth it to you, because I love it. :)
First of all, I've used several of the 'some e cards'...some are way inappropriate, but some are WAY funny and totally capture my sense of humor.
Coupon sense, I did it their way...way too complicated and time consuming...then I changed to better suit our family and I spend maybe a fourth of the time I did before. I did realize though, that many get caught into buying something just because it's free or cheap...which is a waste. They live off the thrill and it becomes an addiction.
By the way, I know your friend Jen...she ROCKS.
Post a Comment