Monday, May 19, 2008

Dogs - A love hate relationship


This is one of our dogs, Bessie. We still have Binky too (he mostly sleeps all day long - in his geriatric condition) We adopted Bessie from the Humane Society two years ago. She is a border collie mixed with some psychotic creature in the wild.
Now most people know border collies to be very high energy. This is not the case for Bessie. "High energy" doesn't even come close to describing this dog. I wanted a running dog...I got a monster. Isn't that always the case?
I take Bessie on bike rides and we go running if the weather is cold. She has no breaking point. She will always outrun me unless I'm driving the car. Once she ran along beside us driving and we clocked her at 29 mph. That's hauling.
We have to put her on the treadmill because I cannot keep up with her. She loves it. She goes and goes. Sometimes I forget she's on the treadmill and I'll come back an hour and a half later. I stop the treadmill and she starts jumping all over me.
Did I mention she nips and has territorial issues?
But there's one thing about Bessie I do love...she knows me. She knows when I'm upset or stressed. She bumps me with her nose if I'm overwhelmed. She'll sit forever if I want to cuddle her. She lets the kids jump all over her too.
That makes her worth it.

3 comments:

Aaron H. said...

i hear you on the love/hate thing. i'm waiting until we have a yard sufficient to hold a dog before committing to one. when i do though, i'm looking for a great dane. my wife wants to know why we just don't get a horse instead.

Lori said...

Anya I love the blog. It is very uplifting. In fact I am going to add you to my blog so I can be frequently uplifted by your post. The van and dog are too cute. We are contemplating adding to our family with a dog. I am a little nervous about it. I really feel like it is adding a new member to the family. Anywho, love the blog.

Mindy said...

I still can't believe she likes the treadmill! I would like a dog someday for the fact that they are always happy to see you and keep you company. Not now though. Someday.