Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Words of Wisdom

I was helping John label his drawers today so he can get his clothes organized for school. We got in an argument about where things should go and I raised my voice then left the room before I got any worse.

John came out about 5 minutes later in a quiet voice and said, "Mom, you shouldn't shout at little children."

Of course I gave him a hug and said, "You're right." I explained why I was getting frustrated and he responded, "Oh, ok."

It gets better...

He thought about my frustration for a minute and then said, "You need to do other things in the day. You need to go other places and learn things, instead of going to the store all the time. You need to explore and learn more."

His words are more than right...they're inspired.

I reflected on our prophet's words for this months article, "May We So Live". He advises, "May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffering in any way. May we “[cheer] up the sad and [make] someone feel glad.” May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.”

6 comments:

Jon said...

John's incredible, especially when you least expect. Your prophet's words can go a long way and we should all follow them.

Aaron H. said...

love this post. you've got great kids!

Allison Barry said...

That is just heart warming. What wisdom John has.

john and brenda said...

I'm crying again! I love your spirit Anya-John's too. I want to grow up to be just like our prophet and serve others like he does.

Brooklynn said...

you guys are the best! i love our family!

Mindy said...

i love hearing what kids say. it will be fun to see what Ashlyn says when she's a little older.