Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FHE - Cleaning

We had a family night lesson last night about cleaning. Of course, this happens to be our most popular family night topic. Adam sat the kids down in the family room and started a brief lesson about a dirty house.

He asked the kids what would happen if we stopped cleaning the house. Ella and John both gave easy answers and then we told them some of the things that happen when people don't clean. We discussed the possibility of bugs living in our rooms.

We asked John and Ella about laundry. "Where does laundry go?" I asked.
"In the basket!" they shouted proudly.

"Well, I see some laundry on the kitchen floor. HMMM...What should we do with those clothes?"

John and Ella ran eagerly to pick up their sweaters and put them away.

The most important thing Adam taught them (which is probably really gross)...was to sniff and check their clothes to see if they're dirty.

Adam and I hate sniffing dirties.... But the kids loved it! They ran around their rooms sniffing all the clothes in their rooms, checking to see if they were dirty.

Adam and I were laughing because we realized John and Ella didn't know what dirty clothes were. We're always finding dirty clothes in their drawers (folded, but gross!). We realized how important it is to teach them the BASIC skills to be self-sufficient. Starting with a simple sniff.

NOW, they've learned what dirty clothes are! If it stinks and is stained, throw it in the basket! THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Amen to that one! I still question WHY? everytime I stick my nose in dirty clothes - gross!

Deb said...

Now that is delegating! Get that on the Dirty Jobs show!

The Vieiras said...

Ha! I love it. Now this is what I call an informative night of FHE.

Mindy said...

oh man. I'm still laughing! that is a good thing to teach. I don't think I was ever taught that...something you just learn as you get older I guess. Hopefully they don't go around sniffing other people and telling them they're dirty. :) Although some people probably need that told to them.

Tanner Fam said...

Hence, that must be where Ella gets the 'sweaty pits' comment. Just tell her that's what dirty clothes smell like.

john and brenda said...

The blessings of FHE never end!

Jo Jo said...

I still remember when I got yelled at for putting my bathing suit back in the drawer. Good lesson! Amy Jo

Natalie said...

That is too cute Anya!! I love the sniff sniff...! You guys bare so great.