Friday, October 24, 2008

Postpartum Smack down CONTINUED



Thank you everyone for your responses! I loved your comments about exercise and getting out. When I had John, I was really struggling with anxiety so I went to LDS social services to get some help.

They have fantastic counselling at reasonable rates. Under the direction of my bishop, I received a couple months of therapy. I learned coping methods, diets changes and ways to take care of myself better. Here are a few things I've learned:

Definitely, exercise. This is not something to mess around with. It is a necessary component for healthy well-being. After I had John, my therapist suggested regular exercise and I started running. This has been my outlet for the past 5 years. I also go to the gym regularly with Adam and my mom (twice a week). We have been doing this for the past year (missing only a couple of days for illness or travel). Be accountable to someone...a friend or a spouse. Don't trust yourself to do it alone.

Progesterone Cream. It's more than a hype. I started using progesterone cream after I had Ella. You can purchase over the counter progesterone cream for about $25 a month. I use a prescription strength which I got from my Naturopath. Follow the instructions. Progesterone cream eases symptoms of PMS and menopause. It regulates periods, helps with mood swings, among many other benefits. Try it out! You can find these creams at Sprouts or Walgreens.

Food. Overeating or loss of appetite are two possible symptoms postpartum. In order to help me with mood balance after John, I started eating a lot of bananas and turkey to help with essential calming chemicals found in those foods. When I started eating turkey and bananas several times a day I noticed benefits in my mood within 2 days. Also, take it easy on the sugar.

Supplements. Vitamins do wonders. Omega 3, CALCIUM, evening primrose oil, vitamin D...the list goes on. I take 10 supplements in the morning, 5 at noon and 4 at bedtime. (At least I TRY to remember). If I'm supposed to be Super Mom, I need super fuel.

Relaxation: By golly, take a bubble bath every once in a while. Lock the door from the children. Mom needs to TEACH her children that she takes care of HERSELF. Warning: You might hear the kids screaming for you...let hubby handle it. He IS a father, you know.

Well, those are things I've been trying to engrave into my mind the last couple of years. It seems to be working. Yesterday I found myself getting WAY mad at the kids and I realized I had missed taking my progesterone cream for several days. Within 20 minutes of rubbing it on, I was back to normal again. Then I took some supplements and relaxed a minute. Works wonders! I'd love to hear if any of you have had success. Let me know!! This is good conversation, ladies! We can all work together with tips.

10 comments:

john and brenda said...

So helpful!!! Exercise, doing something for yourself each day, (may be service if it is really what YOU WANT to do. Don't forget that you are serving constantly when you are caring for and loving your family) prayer-gratitude prayers are KEY, searching the scriptures for FUN, connecting with your someone special, preferrable your husband. These and progesterone cream have been my salvation from depression and menopause. Thank you Anya for doing this blog.

Mason clan 5 said...

Wow- Anya thanks for all this info. I think all of have our bad Mommy days. These tips can really help I have been use essitial oils for stress and anger. They really help!

Allison Barry said...

i love this. thank you for posting this. i am scared that i'm going to go into a deep, dark pit of depression after the baby comes, but i know that even if that happens, i can be proactive.

Becky said...

i meant to comment on the first post of this topic but life got the better of me - so busy! anyway, these are great tips and coping skills anya. don't know if i could really add to these. i like the progesterone cream, i might have to give that a whirl. i did have a slight post-partum depression with my third and did not like the feeling. i was scared when i was pregnant with ben but feel like heavenly father really blessed me because for as much as we went through in the beginning with ben...i never suffered from any depression. it was unbelievable. priesthood blessings can also help.

Stevenson's said...

Thanks Anya. For this post, it is so important that women don't ignore this. For themselves and their families. So thanks for being open about it. Some helpful hints to everyone w/ or w/out depression. Love your blog :)

Tanner Fam said...

You failed to mention how theraputic 'The Office' can be. :)

Jordanian6 said...

This is a great topic. I think some mom's feel embarrassed to admit to the anxiety, depression, etc. After our fourth, I had anxiety really bad. I exercised, ate well, slept, had a supportive husband and mother and my sister gave me this GREAT GREAT GREAT, can I say it one more time, GREAT book called "Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett. I HIGHLY recommend it. It helped me with coping skills and to change my perspective and to calm down. I still occasionally read it when I feel the anxiety creeping in.

Jo Jo said...

I think the best thing to combat anxiety is sleep. With the invention of lights we as a society stay up too late. No later than ten, no sugar after six, and exercise during the day keeps anxiety attacks away. Great forum of discussion! Amy Jo

Jordanian6 said...

I love this post!I suffered the most with #4. I did most of the things already mentioned. I also read this GREAT book that helped soooo much!!It's called "Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett. I highly recommend it. I still occasionally read parts of it when I feel the anxiety creeping in.

Teri said...

ooohh I love bubble baths, that is something I make sure to get when I am struggling or need some time away. and yes I hear those kids knocking.. mom, mom... but zone them out, they will survive :) I posted about my experiences with post partum (after I had Carter). I wish I knew what I know now then. they should teach sbout it when you go in for visits!! it is so common!