Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Update!

We decided to make our blog private.  Mainly, we wanted added security for our family.  As Adam and I continue our education, things are getting increasingly busy.  We wanted the opportunity to post personal information about our goals and whereabouts without added concern for privacy.  There may have been a few people we left out of our list.  Please let us know if someone is hoping to view our blog!

Many thanks to you all!

Now, here's a few things that we've been endeavoring.  Adam still works for G.B. and loves his work as an electrician.  His going back to school will be exciting and scary.  We hope to maintain balance while BOTH of us are in school.

I look forward to transferring to ASU's pre-med program.  I have not decided on a medical program yet.  I am, however, very interested in a Naturopathic school here in the valley.  It is one of the top Naturopathy schools in the country and people travel from around the world to study there.  It is a four year doctoral degree with internship and residency opportunities.  When I started school I thought I would LOVE teaching.  And I still do.  I just realized the politics and limitations within school systems were really overwhelming.  I will continue with a minor in early childhood education, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my research in autism, neuroscience, and nutrition.  Working with children is still my goal...just on a different level.  There are also some OT and PT programs I have been looking at. 

John continues to receive services as outlined in his IEP.  He's growing so fast, but it's been a difficult few months.  The ups and downs of life I guess.  John is looking for more independence and it's hard to know what's appropriate for him.  The high functioning autistic symptoms come and go and we never know what John will be like when he wakes up in the morning!  I thought he might enjoy the OM (Odyssey of the Mind) program, sponsored by NASA.  Here, children are able to experience a variety of problems and use creative thinking skills to solve them.  For example, some teams are supposed to build a robot that can open a lid without human contact, etc.  We'll see what we can find!

John and Ella are waiting for acceptance at a nearby Charter school.  It's been 6 months, so we hope their turn comes soon!  Either way, we're pleased with their current status and we'd love to offer them extracurricular activities that engage their minds.

Ella is still at her Montessori preschool.  She loves it there!  She is learning to read and she will be turning 5 in April.  She continues to take dance classes (ballet and tap).  She's an amazingly patient sister and is very understanding.

There's still SO much more to our lives right now, but I'm running out of blog time.  Adam and I are always on the fence about having more children.  We are incredibly torn about what having another child will require.  Some people might think we are being selfish if we don't have any more kids, other people might think we're crazy to have another baby.  We pray, read church talks, scriptures, fast, and we still haven't felt impressed to have more kids.  It's a bit frustrating too.  My health has been up and down, and John needs SO MUCH attention.  Not to mention, we have a beautiful daughter who needs constant support while she endures the trials of sisterhood.  We ask for your prayers and personal stories.  This is a HUGE test of our agency and we want to do what is BEST.  It's not easy to see friends and family with their growing families, and knowing that might not happen for us.  Still, I'm so glad for two beautiful children...a miracle blessing.  In the meantime I'll keep going to school to learn how to help children...whether they're mine or not.

Much love to you all!

6 comments:

Jon said...

I think your thoughts on balance are the most important. We all can only do so much. Remember, it's noe quantity, but quality and I think you are doing this. Learn to pace yourself so you don't burn out. Good luck with all your goals.

Becky said...

Anya, I loved reading this post. So many good thing and aspirations. You are an incredible mom. I know those feelings about wanting more children well. I still feel this way. And it IS hard to see others expanding their families. Keep doing what you need to be doing and things will work out the way that they are supposed to. The Lord is mindful of your righteous desires. I'm excited for your adventure into pre-med. I'm hoping to start nursing soon...not rushing yet, but seriously thinking. Your kids are lucky to have you. Sending love!! xoxo Becky

Allison Barry said...

I feel special that I'm allowed to read your blog:)

My mom told me that she still feels a bit of "jealousy" when she sees women pregnant or with their newborn babies, even though her youngest is 22. I think a part of being a woman is that we will always have those feelngs, because being a mom is so dang special. We will pray for you guys in that aspect.

john and brenda said...

I have no doubt that what happens with you, your family and your decisions will be the right thing for you. It does take faith to take a step into the unknown...having more children, getting more education...All good things. Your agency is on trial here. I know that our Heavenly Father wants you to be able to feel joy every day and you are doing the things that produce that. How blessed you are and how good through and through!

Richard Alger said...

The decision to have more children is a very personal one. I am sure you, Adam and the Lord will work it out.

Tanner Fam said...

Let me start by saying that you aren't being selfish; because you are actively searching to know what is best for your family. Coming from another mother of two...we went through similar experiences..especially where health issues were involved. I kept waiting for the Lord to tell me what I should do or give me a feeling, but He doesn't work that way, thank goodness since now I can relate back to my experiences of why we made the decision we did. After about a year of soul searching, temple attendance, study, etc...I realized we had to MAKE the decision, pray about it, and then we would know if that was the right choice. Once that was accomplished, I never felt guilty about not having more kids again. I still desired children, but didn't feel like I failed anymore. We knew of our personal circumstances as does the Lord and no one can argue with personal revelation. Some have brought up the commandment of 'multiplying and replenishing the earth'...but as I sat at the temple one time I had a very distinct prompting that said, 'Heavenly Father doesn't put a number on it.' Anyway..thats my 25 cents worth...have faith. :)