Sunday, February 7, 2010

Prioritizing

Is anyone else swamped with obligations?  I sure feel swamped.  There's lots of places to be and lots of work to get done.  One thing I've heard several people say is:  Mormons think their service will get them into Heaven.  It's true, we do serve a lot.  Some days I'm overwhelmed with the responsibilities lying in front of me. 

I'm so glad though for the agency to decide what activities I will participate in.  Adam and I have been focusing on prioritizing lately.  I've had several opportunities to learn about prioritizing in the church.  As things become increasingly busy, I find great comfort in prioritizing something like this:

Placing me with God first  (This means strengthening my physical, spiritual, and emotional self)
Placing family second
Placing work responsibilities third (For Adam, it's his career.  For me, it's my responsibilities to nurture the family in the best ways possible)
Placing church responsibilities/callings fourth
Placing hobbies last

Some might disagree with this pattern.  However, I have found a lot of comfort when I follow this outline.  Gordon B. Hinckley once said, “You have to establish in your life some sense of prioritizing things, of giving emphasis to the important things and of laying aside the unimportant things that will lead to nothing. Establish a sense of justice, a sense of what is good and what is not good, what is important and is not important; and that can become a marvelous and wonderful blessing in your lives” (devotional, Utah Salt Lake City Mission, 15 Dec. 2001).

Prioritizing is helping me determine between good, better, and best.  When I haven't even showered for the day, I know my priorities are mixed up.  If I'm working on a Relief Society lesson and the family hasn't had dinner yet, I know my priorities are mixed up.

I'd love to hear what everyone else has learned about prioritizing.  I'm trying to conquer that "swamped" feeling and replace it with a feeling of gratitude.  Life balance is such an interesting topic to me.

5 comments:

Treslee said...

This is very true, I have to do this on a daily base starting in the morning with what needs to get done that day. It begins with the prioratized list so if I don't get to the bottom of it by the end of the day that is just ok!

Mindy said...

You sound like your way ahead of me on this topic. I could use some teaching.
Of course, I don't worry about showering everyday anymore. I don't get that dirty. :)
But I would definitely make sure I don't smell if I was to go anywhere. lol

john and brenda said...

I totally agree with your priority list. When the Lord comes first, things always work out. Truely, being overjoyed for the experiences and opportunites in life is the secret to priortizing and to any challenge we face. I know we were not put here to stress and to run faster than we have stregnth.

Jon said...

I think prioritizing is something like having structure in one's life. My doctors have stressed the need for this in my life. I think my days are far to open and free and this doesn't get me very far. So I have my work cut out for me. With my recent hospitalizations, I'm seeing how valuable time is and how it can be cut short at any minute, leaving the things which should be a priority at bay. I will have to do some work in this area.

Tanner Fam said...

Love your list...and I love the fact that Relief Society as a whole is knowing of this importance as well. If sisters must leave their families...they better be getting spiritually fed, or serving others in worthwhile ways.