Donna Williams is an author with autism. I read her book Nobody Nowhere when I was in 7th grade because I had to do a book report on a disability. My mom suggested the book to me so I read it.
I never realized how reading the book would educate me for future circumstances. It wasn't until John began showing symptoms of autism that I remembered this book I read a long time ago. Her explaination of what it's like having autism is really thought-provoking.
I decided to write to Donna Williams and let her know how grateful I was for her book. And guess what..she emailed me back!! It was such a wonderful thing to say "THANK YOU" to someone who paved the way and helped others understand autism. I never would have imagined hearing back from her all these years later. I can't even begin to explain the irony in reading that book when I was in 7th grade.
It was a full circle moment.
It was a full circle moment.

2 comments:
That is awesome! Serendipitous the way life works sometimes.
Wow! I can imagine me in 7th grade reading a book because I HAD to and not thinking it would ever make a difference. (Of course I don't remember anything I read in school until Lord of the Flies, as a Junior.) How nice that you wrote to the author!
Post a Comment