I've taken on a "block party" project this spring with a woman in our neighborhood. This woman organized the block party solo last year and over 1,000 people attended. We anticipate more people this year. We've been collecting sponsors and donations from local businesses. The block party has been a real uplifting experience for me. I've enjoyed meeting new people in our community and working towards a great cause.
The block party will promote a neighborhood watch program with the police department. We are "block captains" on our street and we have seen remarkable benefits from the neighborhood watch program.
The Barry and Kotila family came together and decided to become sponsors for our block party to promote autism awareness as well. We'll be having a booth at the event. We've been in contact with local organizations that support autism research and we hope to spread a lot of information to a large amount of people.
I stand amazed at how many people have a desire to serve their community. People are stepping up to the plate and offering assistance in so many ways. Of course, there have been a few "Grinches" who haven't made it easy but I know our efforts are being blessed.
-Anya
5 comments:
Hey glad to see you have a blog. I so miss primary with you guys! I am glsd to hear Jon is doing better, did you decide what school he is going to?
Hey Anya, we need you on the school board as well. So glad you are active in the community. We need more Anya's in the world!
You are so awesome, good for you. That is a lot of work. So I'm glad you have a blog, it is very cute. Oh and I LOVE your new car, that is so COOL! Where did you get it?
I keep forgetting to tell you that I'm willing to help out with this block party thing. Just let me know, I'll do anything except clean up :)
here, here. i echo the "more Anya's" comment. nice job on the block party.
Post a Comment