Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wild Weather


Ok, it was somewhere around 110 degrees the other day. Today it's in the 70's with a chance of rain. We've had some wild weather this week! I have to say every time there's a cloud in the sky I run to see if it's going to rain.

The rain is quite exciting here in Arizona.

I remember my first summer here. It was monsoon season and I had only been living here a couple of weeks. I met my friend Mandie and when it started raining (like torrential rain) she was so excited. I wasn't able to share the excitement as much because I had just come from springtime in Massachusetts. The last thing I wanted to see was rain.

After that monsoon storm left there was a dusty smell in the air. It wasn't something I was familiar with. Usually in Mass. it would smell like soggy grass. Not here in the desert. It smells like wet dust.

Now as the years have gone by I admit my "blood has thinned out". That's what the Arizona natives say when someone has finally acclimated to the heat.

I'm wearing a sweater right now on this 70+ degree day. The pools are too chilly until I can get in the like bathtubs. I even remember to put flip flops on if I have to walk on the concrete at night time in the summer (so I won't burn my feet).

And every time I see a cloud in the sky I run to check the weather in hope for that wet dust smell. I have to admit - it used to be a pain...Now it is a sign of hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this weather today. The kids always have a great time when it is so nice out!!

Teri said...

love love love the weather! 110 degrees just doesnt work for me, I love those gloomy, rainy, chilly days where you can snuggle up and enjoy it! Maybe its the Washingtonian in me!! is that a word?