Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Heroes

I was just talking to Adam's grandfather last night. He told stories of growing up and serving in the military on submarines for World War II. I enjoyed hearing his account of historical events. What surprised me most was his unwaivering acceptance of "the way things were". He suffered difficult living conditions, the depression, and the hardships of being in the military. But he never gave off a sense of regret. He was obedient. I admired this from him.

He even told a story when he got in trouble as he was stationed in New London. He and several friends were looking through the scope at the city-scape of New York. They were not fulfilling their duty to be on patrol. He was put in a separate room 3 nights in a row...one bed, no blankets, no heat.

He also told stories of living conditions during the depression, how his finger was cut off by a saw blade, and being left home alone for a couple days with his little brother at 7 years old.

What amazed me was his reaction to all of these stories. He laughed!

These are the heroes we never see on TV.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Thank you for posting this Anya. I wish I could have been there to hear his stories. I've never heard him talk about those things...except for his finger. He is a hero!

Becky said...

I hope that he has recorded his stories so that many generations to come will know of his life. What a great man. :)

Stephanie said...

What a treasure he must be to your family.

john and brenda said...

I have never seen my dad talk like that and on such a personal level. Thank you for this post. My dad is my hero in a big way.

Brooklynn said...

yup. thats my grandpop. too bad i wasn't listening i wanted too