Friday, September 5, 2008

SCD Cupcakes



I got a call from John's teacher the other day. She forgot the class was going to have cupcakes for a birthday party. I have a hard time with cupcakes in the classroom. Not only because John will have to sit and watch every kid around him lick frosting until their tongues turn abnormal colors, but it means Mom has to make up for it somehow.

Of course, I did. Here's a recipe for SCD cupcakes, an altered version from SCDRecipe.com. They are very healthy and actually taste like food. The more I eat from John's SCD recipes, the more I can taste all the chemicals in packaged foods. Now, don't get me wrong - I still love a good cupcake (minus the frosting) but it helps to know I can make a substitute in time of need.

Makes 4 cupcakes
1 egg
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract
(Blend in blender until smooth)
Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups almonds or almond flour
(Blend again until smooth batter is formed)
Pour in cupcake pan. Bake at 300 degrees until light golden (test with toothpick).
Frosting:
Whisk together small amounts of honey, almond butter and vanilla extract to taste.
Spread on cupcakes!

1 comment:

Deb said...

The next thing to test is whether they freeze well! If they do, You can make a batch and they are ready to defrost at a moment's notice. Good job, Anya! I never made baked goods for school.