I found some information from the Provident Living website. As we receive a lot of questions about vaccines, we encourage ALL families to receive vaccines. The schedule of shots can be broken into smaller increments, but the bottom line is vaccines save lives.
Article from “News of the Church,” Ensign, July 1978, 79:
The First Presidency is giving its support to programs to immunize children against preventable diseases. “We urge members of the Church … to protect their own children through immunization. Then they may wish to join other public-spirited citizens in efforts to eradicate ignorance and apathy that have caused the disturbingly low levels of childhood immunization.”
The statement by the First Presidency cites reports that in the United States, some twenty million children have not been immunized against potentially serious diseases:
“Reports that increasing numbers of children are not being immunized against preventable childhood diseases deeply concern us. In the United States alone approximately 20 million children, 40 percent of those 14 years old or younger, have not been adequately immunized against polio, measles, German measles (rubella), diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), mumps and tetanus.
“Every parent who has agonized when these diseases have maimed or brought premature death to their children would join us, we are certain, in a plea to mobilize against these deadly enemies.
“Immunization is such a simple, yet vital, matter and such a small price to pay for protection against these destroying diseases. …
“Failure to act could subject untold thousands to preventable lifelong physical or mental impairment, including paralysis, blindness, deafness, heart damage, and mental retardation.
“Immunization campaigns in the United States and other nations, if successful, will end much needless suffering and erase the potential threat of epidemics. Such efforts are deserving of our full support.”
Read more about how the LDS church is using vaccines to save lives.
10 comments:
Immunizations make our little ones sad for a day or two, but I can't imagine my kids getting one of those very serious illnesses because I did not do anything to stop it. I am a big supporter of splitting them up, but I think they were put on this Earth to limit that suffering for our children and our children's children.
I didn't realize that this was as serious as you report. For us kids, we really didn't have a choice. I remember when I used to go to the doctor, my first question was always, "Do I have to get a shot?" I got all my shots and cried myself through them. But we didnt' receive the same shots as they do now. I've had chicken pox, measles, and mumps. Those were very uncomfortable times. It's nice of you to raise our awareness like this.
It is so interesting that we have heard about the calamities of the last days and fool ourselves into thinking that some of them will never happen ("Look at all those diseases we've eradicated with medical breakthroughs!") but here is a perfect example of how wrong we sometimes can be. We've opened ourselves up to great risk by not immunizing.
Wow, sorry to be such a downer.
Thanks for the insight. I have been very confused by this issue. This helped a lot.
Tonya
Thank you for that information. I have been very confused about it.
Tonya
glad you posted this - very important information. Thanks for always being proactive.
I'm headed there next week - didn't know the position of the church - thanks! Amy Jo
Hey Adam! Sorry I forgot to call you yesterday....for your big 30...Man you're old. We're in the process of making a sweet a** bus to bring out near the end of the month. Hope your day was great! (BTW, if it makes you feel any better about me not calling, no one called me on my 30th, not even mom, not even Alli and I lived with her!)
I always love knowing the stance of the church. I know that if I trust in my leaders that things will work out.
Please remember - that the church has not updated their statement since 1978. There were only 10 shots then and now there are 36. I agree that vaccines can be good, but not that many at such a young age. If you watch the video on youtube the CDC admits that vaccines CAN cause autism and other spectrum disorders. Also, their website says right on it that vaccines can cause brain damage, seizures and death. Parents need to make their own schedule at their own pace. children don't need 36 shots by 2 years old and they don't need 6 or 7 at a time.
Post a Comment