About three weeks ago Ella was sitting on the floor watching an LDS movie. John was bouncing in a laundry basket making his sounds. It was Sunday, a time when John gets overstimulated and needs to let loose...then he tries to hold it in once we get to church.
As he slammed his bottom down repeatedly on the laundry shouting "WHOOOO!!", Ella looked at me. She had a very frustrated look on her face.
"Why does Johnny do 'dat, Mommy?" she asked.
I came and sat on the floor next to her and gave her a hug. She received it like a child should...with arms around my neck and waiting for an answer. I loved this opportunity to teach her.
I whispered, "John has a lot of energy in his body before church. He has to get his wiggles out." She stared over at him, wishing for the bouncing and screaming to stop.
"You're a good helper, Ella. You do a good job with Johnny," I continued. She took a deep breath and went back to her movie, instantly forgiving all of her brother's quirks.
Fast forward. Last night I watched as John and Ella wrestled on the floor. She laughed and giggled as John chased her with a pillow. They rolled on the floor and bear-hugged each other laughing the whole time.
I watched Ella as she interacted with Big Bro. With tolerance and patience she endures it all so well.
John gets a lot of attention. He's the first child, the first grandchild. And for that, he deserves attention. But then when I look at Ella, I remember John would be lost without her. We all would. That's why we cherish her so much.
She sits with us when John is having fits and helps squish him with pillows when he needs it. She even comforts Mom during stressful times.
She may be a little sister, but she's a BIG helper...truly a gift from God.
4 comments:
What a sweet post, Anya. Ella is such a beautiful girl, inside and out. She was so cute and wanting to cuddle on the couch when Devin and I babysat her. I couldn't help but watch she and Johnny during Trevee's memorial. They had the cutest, understanding expressions on as they watched. You have such wonderful kids.
Ella is so precious. She seems so mature. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he sent her to you. :)
It is so wonderful to know how much you cherish each of your children and how they fit perfectly into the family God has blessed you with. Ella has wrapped herself completely around my heart.
I love Ella and johnny. they are so sweet and nice. But something that I love the most about Ella is her voice. Adam calls it an "accent" but I think it's so funny and cute.
Post a Comment