Thursday, September 11, 2008

Santa - Truth Restored

Get ready for another controversial post...

It all started a couple years ago. John was a toddler and Christmas was coming around the corner. My mind was racing about "Santa". "How can I help John and Ella believe in Santa but still help them understand the TRUE meaning of Christmas?" I asked myself.

Weeks went by and I finally talked to Adam about my concerns. We discussed the importance of Christmas and what it means to our family. We also talked about the traditions we wanted during the Christmas season.

We started talking in depth about Santa. What's the purpose of Santa? Will the kids be more excited about Santa than the birth of our Savior? We started making a mental list of the pros and cons of Santa.

The list went something like this:

Cons:
The kids focusing more on Santa than on Jesus Christ.
Having to keep up with all the "Lies" (and I do say LIES).
Stress of pretending and hiding the truth about Santa
Kids not being able to appreciate the hard work we do to give them gifts
Having to "Break the News" to them later in life.
Did I mention lies?

Pros:
The kids are really excited about a man sneaking into our house and giving us gifts.

Harsh?? Not meant to be, this is honestly how the list went. It may be VERY different for your family, but for us...this was it.

I went online and researched who Santa was. I didn't really even know!! Saint Nicholas was a man who delivered gifts to orphans. My thoughts turned to that man named Nicholas. "What he did should be remembered, not idolized," I thought.

Adam and I came together in absolute prayerful agreement. We gathered the family together for family night and discussed Saint Nicholas. We explained how some people teach their children Santa is a real man, but we wanted them to have the truth. We taught John and Ella the importance of giving and how Jesus gave his life for us.

Since that family night, Christmas comes with GREAT excitement...even more I believe.

Instead of pretending a stranger comes into our house in the night, we are blessed with Santa Dad, Santa Mom, Santa Ella and Santa John. And we each try to be better Santas, better Saints, every year.

I've heard about Christmas three times this week. It's only September, but I welcome the topic! Even John wanted to decorate for Christmas this week. He was drawing pictures early this morning of what the house would look like at Christmas time. Then, as Ella watched Barney today, Santa was on. I was happy to know my kids have the fullness of truth.

Even more, John and Ella show pure joy all year long, AND "Jesus' Birthday" has never been so exciting for our family.

8 comments:

john and brenda said...

I like the way you think Anya and write. The way you handled explaining santa to the kids made all the difference. When a child learns "there is no Santa" in the normal way, some spark seems to disappear. But like everything else you do when you include prayer and Heavenly Father, it turns out better! Thanks for the "contraversial post"!

Nicole said...

I think your "controversial" posts are great. That is a subject that is so different for each family. I like to know what other people are doing and take a little from each. I to started to think about Christmas this week as well. The true meaning is the most important thing. Thanks for your thoughts!

Becky said...

Bravo my dear friend. We too have taken this approach. I love the true meaning of Christmas.

Joey and Megan said...

Well I'll go on record saying that we don't take this approach, but I respect your right as parents to make that decision for your own family. In my family we still believe in Santa no matter how old you are, but we say (when you get older and start having those doubts) that Santa is love and Santa is the spirit of doing nice things for other people. Now of course I collect nativities and our house is filled with them at Christmas, not to be overshadowed by Santa. But we definitely believe in Santa too!

Also, Santa only brings my kids one gift each, so they know where to give the credit for most of their gifts. It's definitely a great topic for discussion :)

P.s. I'm 90 percent done Christmas shopping, in case you wanted to know.

Teri said...

thats so good. craig had so many questions last year and I broke it to him. I was amazed at how much more thankful he was for his gifts! same with easter. Its like people try to take away the true meanings of these very special holidays. ITs cute how excited the little ones get leaving santa cookies and the reindeer cartrots though ...... interesting thought :)hhmmmmm

Tanner Fam said...

I absolutely LOVE kissing Santa Claus. :)
Growing up, I was able to keep the excitement of Santa and a reverance for the Savior. And for some reason, as a child, I was able to separate the two. I had my first very real spiritual experience when I was 7 on Christmas Eve. It has never left me. It's great reading your thoughts. This is a great post. I do have one suggestion for parents who choose this route...make sure their kids know that there are many other kids who choose to believe in Santa, and not to ruin it for them. :) Merry Christmas.

Mindy said...

I see where you guys are coming and I'm surprised Adam went along with that since he was probably the most excited for Christmas growing up. :) I don't like how commercialized everything is but I did love believing in santa and want my kids to have the same fun since you only have that innocent belief in things for such a short time. I still wish he came at night and left presents and so we don't have to buy them. :) But I do know it's important to talk about the real meaning too. I've been getting excited already for the holidays though!

Allison Barry said...

I am torn about the Santa thing, too. Devin and I have not prayed about it, yet, but I feel the same way about the lies and putting santa in a place about Jesus. I remember personally being CRUSHED when I found out Santa was a lie...and thinking, "what else are my parents lying about?" I guess I have a year or 2 before we have to make the decision..