Monday, June 23, 2008

MO

That's what it's called...Missour"ah".

I decided to make a joke once we landed at the airport. "Are we going to the lodge for dinner?" That started everything - we giggled the whole way to Sullivan. Passing about 500 churches, several White Castle restaurants, Six Flags, The Meramec River and don't forget the Caverns...MO is certainly different than most coastal cities. Now don't get all offended if you're a Sullivanian...read on.

We got a quick sub at subway (we just had to pass on "Huddle House"). As we got into the minivan, which was a joke in itself, we had to admire the thousands of splattered bugs all over the front of the vehicle. I started getting itchy.

Finally we arrived at the Baymont Inn. We were greeted by a friendly neighbor kitty and headed straight inside. My brother David and I shared a room. Mom and Dad were just down the hall. It was like a family vacation from the past (only this time it was going to change us more than any of the other previous trips we had).

We woke up Wednesday morning and got ready...David and I made our way to the lobby which consisted of a small love seat and one chair. Suddenly, I saw a familiar face. "Clarence!" I said to the man passing us. Sullivan started getting smaller by the minute.

Clarence is the best. There's nothing like distant relatives that aren't very distant. We had a very hearty continental breakfast and headed out for Rosebud.

Rosebud is about 30 minutes away from Sullivan, MO...if you drive like a maniac. We got on the "H" and headed out. Close your eyes and imagine a calendar photo of gorgeous green hills, tree lined streets and old white houses with front porches that never end. This was the drive.

We enjoyed a mild 70 degree breeze while sitting for the ride and admiring the beautiful landscape we thought didn't exist anymore. Then it came...Rosebud, MO: Population 364 or something crazy like that.

We pulled up to the early 1900's church where my uncle Aaron is Pastor. He and his family live right next door in one of those old white houses. The old wooden floors creaked as we walked in. It's a shame they're demolishing the house next week. I found it charming.

The best moments were reuniting with the family. I loved seeing my cousin Audra (who will forever be known as Audi) We had some time to play catch up and then it was off to the wake.

Full of emotions, we approached the Eaton's Funeral home...that same funeral home for others in our family who have passed away. Although there were tears and an ache of separation from our Mummu, there was laughing and a sense of togetherness. Personal stories and feelings were shared - ones too personal for an online blog...but let me just say this - funerals can sometimes be the very best reunions.

We headed back to Rosebud on that same rolling road but this time I started getting a little car sick. We were all exhausted and hungry. Back in the church basement we gathered together eating fried chicken and salads that local church members so graciously delivered. We had more time to laugh and talk - even listen to cousins practice their quartet for the funeral.

When we got back to the Inn I put my head on the pillow and woke up 5 minutes later to the morning (or so it seemed). Another hearty breakfast in our funeral clothes and we drove off to St. Matthew's Lutheran church just around the corner. The family congregated in the foyer of the church and shared a few giggles and tears. We took a seat and sang together while we reflected on Mummu's life.

Even though some of us had differences in our beliefs, make no mistake - we were all united with a spirit of love. That was something shared.

After the funeral we met downstairs in the church blessed with more fried chicken and the biggest buffet I had ever seen at a family function.

The rest of the day consisted of hanging out in Rosebud, playing a game of washers and driving our cousins to the airport. I have to say, it was the best funeral I've ever been to. There's nothing like hanging out with a bunch of people who look and act just like you.

As we flew out of St. Louis the following morning I reflected on the trip with gratitude for my family. This life is just too short to sit around angry or hurt...and I'll never forget what Clarence told me while we were eating fried chicken.

He put his hand on my shoulder as I sat exhausted and said the following, "I was working in a field one day and someone passed by. He said, Clarence, chin up! It looks like you're carrying the world on your shoulders! From that day forth I keep on smiling, and it works too. I smile and people smile back. You should try it out."

I will never forget that. And I'll never forget the opportunity to go to MO. The beauty and the love far surpassed any sorrow. Mummu leaves a legacy we are all grateful for.

(photos coming soon)

2 comments:

Lori said...

Well written Anya. Richrds uncle used to work at a Huttle House. That was before he got arrested. Long story. Your story reminds me of when we visited Richards family in Alabama. I'm glad you had a great time remembering your Mummu. It sounds like that's how she would have wanted it.

Mindy said...

your story makes me want to go visit MO. I'm glad you were able to spend that time with your family. I'm not that good at talking about sentimental stuff too much so I'll just say I'm glad everything went well and I like the advice of Clarence. :) I'm sure your mummu was enjoying herself watching your family all enteract together again.